Thursday, September 1, 2011

Chapter 1

I wrote 769 words today. It's not a lot, but it is a definite start. And look, I'm even blogging!

Chapter One started in a somewhat unexpected place today. This particular idea falls into the YA Urban Fantasy genre. My intention was to have the first chapter start with an introduction of our protagonist opening her locker at school. Then I did something that I felt stupid about. And I took that something and used it as the beginning of my story. I'm a little anxious as this is not how I planned it to start but at the same time I'm glad I started it differently than how I had planned. I have just now realized that a lot of YA novels start with the main character at their locker at school at a random time period during their day. Probably because it's practically a blank slate- easy enough to start a story from that point if you have no idea where it should start, and you can build and create your story from that blank slate.

Unfortunately, this weekend is going to put a bit of a damper on my writing plans as I am going to be traveling. But I don't need internet to type on a word document so maybe I'll find a quiet corner during some spare time and pound out a thousand words or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment